PORCAL, AN EXAMPLE OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESTORATION
what is left after our productive activity?
In the heart of the Southeast Regional Park of Madrid and about 40 kilometers from the capital, in the municipality of Rivas Vaciamadrid, is the El Porcal, one of our old gravel of arid silicon converted into a natural ecosystem, declared in 1994 protected area, which is part of the sedimentary basin of the Jarama and Manzanares rivers.
As a result of the conservation strategy that has been applied in the last 30 years, El Porcal has become today one of the protected areas with the most natural wealth of the Southeast Madrid Regional Park, included as an Integral Reserve and declared a protected area in 1994. More than 180 species of animals inhabit it, many of them threatened with extinction and it is our duty to protect them to preserve them.
Until 2008, from this place aggregates of different granulometric composition were obtained for the construction and development of infrastructures, as well as for cement, glass and paint industries, among others. The washing of the aggregates originated a great variety of types of sand that were deposited in the lagoons to form beaches, which would be populated with vegetation and small invertebrates that would serve as food for other larger animals.
Porcal is today a biosphere reserve of the Community of Madrid, the Cementos Portland Valverrivas Group and has an agreement with the Naumanni Naturalists Association, which has taken charge of the care of its fauna and flora. Examples of good practices applied by Naumanni are the great crested grebe, the beetle-wasp, the pintojo frog or the otter, among others. All these species have found in El Porcal a place to stay, reproduce and enrich the biodiversity of animal species in the Community of Madrid.
- Provide the resources and means necessary to meet environmental objectives and applicable environmental legislation, acquiring environmental commitments with the desire to go beyond strict compliance.
- Promote a policy of continuous improvement of the environmental aspects of the products, activities and services on which we have influence.
- Identify the risks and opportunities of our activities to effectively plan the implementation of protection, prevention, action and remediation measures.
- Support the fight against climate change, controlling and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Promote the sustainability of natural resources, introducing principles of circular economy, fostering the use of alternative fuels and materials, especially in the manufacture of cement.
- Reduce wastewater discharges and optimize water consumption
- Encourage the minimization of waste, both hazardous and non-hazardous, promoting the reduction, reuse or recycling, including its energy recovery against disposal or landfill
- Preserve the natural environment of the facilities reducing, mitigating or restoring any adverse impact on the environment and preserving biodiversity
- Incorporate environmental considerations into strategic planning, investment programs and equipment acquisition and deepen the application of Best Available Techniques (BAT) in processes.
- Facilitate the awareness training of our employees on environmental matters
- Disseminate our environmental and sustainable principles to stakeholders